Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Shaking the Tree

So the other day I was out wandering around the neighborhood where I work and I decided to pop into one of my favorite places, Rainy Day Records.  I was in the mood for something 80s that I did not already own.  I couldn't put my finger on it, but I would know it when I saw it.  And then I saw it :)


Peter Gabriel -- Shaking the Tree,  Sixteen Golden Greats.    Honestly, I didn't even thoroughly look to see what songs were on the album when I initially purchased it.   If you have any Peter Gabriel in your music library at all you know the feeling of satisfaction and triumph that I felt when I saw this.  Mr. Gabriel is a fabulous musician and a wonderful story teller.  The liner notes take it a step beyond the usual by listing the songs selected from which albums and the years these albums were created.  Nice.

Once again I shall admit to not knowing quite a few of these hit singles but that's okay, I loved listening to them for the first time. Hearing Kate Bush's voice on Don't Give Up really made me smile.  Here Comes The Flood however made me reflective and quiet which I'm sure Peter had intended for the listener. (well I like to think so).

The one song that was not on the album that I thought would be was In Your Eyes even though quite a few songs on this album were from his 1986 album So.  I decided to find out why :)

Apparently it was not released as a single in the UK..imagine that.  It is quite a beautiful song, and I'm sure I have it in my collection somewhere, so I didn't lose any sleep over it :)

Well there you have it.  Be amazed  and revere he who is Peter Gabriel.  He has a lot to say and many colorful wonderful ways to say it.

Big Time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment