Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mr. Tambourine Mens


"I loves me some tambourine playin!" 

I know the title might be a bit confusing but there's a reason for it.   I wanted to discuss something that not many people give consideration to these days..The Tambourine.

Yeah I know, I can hear it now.."are you serious?"  Yes, yes I am.  Because something interesting occurred to me the other day while I was listening to Gary Numan singing Cars.  There is a really cool part of the song where he grabs a tambourine and just goes to town on it.

Now if you've ever played the tambourine, you know that you must have some sense of rhythm and dexterity in order to keep a good sound going.  It may not be as exciting to play as say a bass or a lead guitar, but you can look just as sexy playing one ;)

Gary Numan does.  He looks really hot playing that tambourine in the video.  Almost compelling, beckoning you with his eyes..."come hither, listen to my tambourine solo, you know you want me.."



 (see, he still has that look in his eyes ;))

I think Gary took some pointers from his tambourine mentor.  Yep, none other than that lad from Manchester the one and only Davy Jones of the Monkees.  He was quite the mean tambourine player as well, and boy could he look sexy.




(I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but doesn't Davy look a bit like Russell Brand in this photo?)

Oh well, never mind.  So that's it,  The Tambourine, boring for some, sexy for others, fun for all...why else would Bob Dylan have written a song about it..he knew..

No comments:

Post a Comment