Monday, March 21, 2011

Kajagoogoo Versus Limahl Part 2

It would be 20 years before I would know exactly who Limahl was or Kajagoogoo for that matter.  Why? Well for one, I had no window of information to find out more about the band.  Most of the information printed at the time about bands like Kajagoogoo were in Teen Mags and frankly my teen magazine days were over. Did I ever own any of their music? What before 2004? No.  I was a single working mother of 3 growing children and quite frankly any extra money that I had left over from my meager paychecks went to make sure that they had the essentials that they needed.  Looking back of course, I may have over-essentialized them (is that a word? could it be?, let's use it just this once, shall we? great!)

Why didn't you purchase music in the 90's Rose?  Weeelllll....mainly because during this decade I had become a born again christian and had completely eradicated any secular music in my library as I was doing my best to get to heaven despite my horrible wicked deeds of the past.  You know honestly I'm very surprised I lasted as long as I did.  I think it was because I was in the choir, and singing has always meant the world to me, but that's another story altogether.

In 2000 I met and married my husband Richard, whom I found surprisingly on the internet in a chat room.  Richard who is Scottish, (from Scotland) came over in August of that year and we were married. Prior to his arrival, we would spend long hours speaking to each other on the telephone about quite a few things, somehow our conversations always seemed to come back to music.  I found that in our discussions that apparently I was a huge fan of British new wave/new romantic/synthpop and other hybrid pop genres of the 80s and what ever questions I had, Richard had the answers.

It would not be until I discovered Vh1 Classic that I would be able to relive the days of the music videos that I loved and adored.  Tears for Fears, Flock of Seagulls, Spandau Ballet , and of course Kajagoogoo.  Once again,  I was able to enjoy one of my favorite videos Too Shy.  By this time, I was totally equipped with the World Wide Web and all of it's magic and I was determined to find out more about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment