Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Duran Duran

I've recently become quite attached to my Duran Duran's Greatest Hits album.  I love it so much that I am seriously thinking about getting all of their albums and putting them in my list of top ten favorite 80s bands.

I can hear it already.."so? what's the big deal Duran Duran is a great group" Um yeah..they are.  They are a great group, but I'm a late bloomer. I wasn't into Duran Duran the first time around because, well, I didn't get them.  Yep, you heard it correctly, I was completely in the dark as to why they were so popular. (oh don't feel bad, I felt the same way about Morrissey before I fell in love with him, but that's a different blog)

I wanted to get them, I watched the videos with earnest looking for some shred of something coherent that I could understand.  But somehow it never worked.  My favorite Duran Duran song ended up being Notorious, mainly because it was kind of a no-brainer song with no reason for a lot of explanation. That was my story and I was sticking to it 





It wasn't until later on down the line that I discovered Ordinary World.  I heard the song before I saw the video and I immediately wanted to make my own video interpretation of it. It was that inspiring.  I did manage to see the video for it on YouTube later and well let's just say I'm sticking with my version :)




Since I've become 80sMusicGirl, I've been asked some pretty hefty music questions regarding Duran Duran.  I didn't want to seem like a hater, but frankly I couldn't be all "oh yeah I like the 80s but not Duran Duran" I would get mauled! So I decided to do some quiet research on my own and I discovered this nifty album. Duran Duran Greatest:





With in one day, I went from casual Duran Duran listener to avid listener.  I was in love with every song on the album, and I knew a lot of them too, which was odd. (the power of MTV)  I was very surprised.  I have new favorite songs too!  I especially like this one:


and this next one is my newest newest favorite, I'm completely in love with this song and the video as well.



So I guess that makes me a fan now.  I can't say that I'm an actual Duranie, I'm far from it.  There are far too many nuances involving Duran Duran that I am not aware of, and so so many songs that I have yet to hear.

Do I love them as much as I love a-ha and Kajagoogoo?  Let's just say their in third place right now in my top ten.  Do I get their music now?

Do I really need to? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment