Thursday, May 15, 2014

"I've Never Been Closer"

Yes, that is the first line in the song Temptation by Heaven 17.  And it describes my mood at the moment. I've honestly never been as close to being obsessed as I am at this point in time with another band besides my top 5 favorite bands of all time.

Truthfully I don't even think Heaven 17 was in my top ten, but they were in my top 20.  But for some reason this week, has been nothing but Heaven 17 on my mind.  If I ever decide to do a cover album of them, Heaven 17 On My Mind will be the title.  But I digress.

It all started when I was on YouTube this past week looking for the video for Sunset Now. That song speaks to me in magical ways that I cannot explain and I wanted to see how it was portrayed on film, and if it was exactly as they were singing about it.  But to my chagrin, the video is not available in my country. Damn My Eyes!

So I thought, WHY?!!! I must admit, I was a bit perturbed.  So I decided to do a search on the internet, thinking that you know, there were other places that might have it.  HA! Not! but in my search I discovered many interesting and wonderful things about them, so I decided to share other videos that they had on YouTube.  The first one I found was a PlusNet advertisement, featuring Heaven 17 because PlusNet was a local company in Yorkshire and everyone knows that Yorkshire was famous for Heaven 17 and pudding.  I'm paraphrasing of course, but you get the idea.  The next video I found was a lovely rendition of Party Fears Two by The Associates sung by Glenn Gregory.  It brought tears to my eyes.

The next day I found a podcast by some lovely gents Brian and Simon who are Sodajerker and their podcast is called Sodajerker on Songwriting, and they had a very informative Episode 37 interviewing none other than Glenn Gregory and Martyn Ware of Heaven 17.  Wow! what a delight that was.  I highly recommend their show, you can find it on www.sodajerker.com.  You can download the show from their onto your android smart phone or on your Apple product.  Great stuff!  And they are very kind also, because I know how pesty I can be when I want to know something, and they have the patience of Job, or some other really famous person who has a lot of patience.  (Dr. Who maybe? not sure)

So today I like to think was my shining moment when I searched the internet for album covers for all of the albums that Heaven 17 has done over the years and posted them into Instagram and Twitter for #ThrowbackThursday.  I felt it was the least I could do to show them how much I appreciate all of their major contributions to the music industry and to the 80s in general.

The gentlemen of Heaven 17 have an amazing and colorful history and you should check it out on their website at www.heaven17.com, lots of media, discography and photos galore. That's providing you really don't know a whole lot about them and you have been recently shot with the arrow of undying love for a band that you knew about but only slightly.  (moi)

 Have a wonderful day, don't forget to check out the a fore mentioned  websites, pod-casts and musically wonderful items.  This is 80sMusicGirl, ciao for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment